Friday, January 13, 2017

MCOM #1: & puppies.


Hello! I'm back! How many times have I said that? A lot? Yeah. Well, this time it is completely honest because I am taking a class called MCOM 320 this semester and we're required to keep a blog. YAY! {kind of}. Best part? We can blog about anything we want, in fact, we're encouraged to blog about anything we want. Anything. So, alas, I'll start with a cute picture of Sister Kuhle, the two cutest goldendoodle puppies, and me. And if you just read "sister kuhle" and are wondering "whhaatt??"... yes, Sister Kuhle is married and yes, I still call her by her unmarried last name {she was my first companion and trainer on my mission, so "sister" and "kuhle" are how I knew her}. Habits die hard. Supposedly the rest of the world calls her Laura. I'll stick with Kuhle. Tangent. Anyways. Today we both got close to hitting our twenty hours of work so we decided to go on an adventure. I'm really enjoying not having Friday classes. So we went to the Puppy Barn and then found a wonderful new sushi bar! New favorite places.

So here's the life update: I loved last semester. I spent the majority of it in the library. And I don't think saying "majority" is even an exaggeration, sadly. But it was the best semester yet. This semester will be harder {academically} but even better {socially}. So we'll see what happens.

But I'm not really here to blog about my life. I just used the picture of the dogs because I once read somewhere that you should never publish a blog post without a picture. AANNDD I wanted an excuse to tell the world that my goal in life is to own a mini golden doodle (or a dog that's a mixture of yorkie, poodle, and maltese. It was adorable} Plus, I can't think of a better picture than two adorable goldendoodle puppies.

For our first blog post our teacher asked us to just write. He told us to sit down at our computer and just type. Find something we enjoy talking about and then just keep writing. Don't stop to edit. Don't stop to change things. So good luck understanding this:

A few days ago Kayla and I were spending time with a friend who recently returned from a mission. We had a wonderful conversation and somehow got on the topic of "remembering". He was specifically referring to remembering our conversion or remembering spiritual experiences we have had, but I think that the concept of remembering can and should be applied throughout everyone's lives. I think that looking back on our lives and the experiences we have had can be one of the most effective ways of progressing in life. Maybe I think this way because I love history and the quote about how we can learn from the past. or maybe it's for some other reason, but I like looking back. I like getting on facebook and seeing the posts that tell you what you were doing four years ago. I like thinking "wow, two years ago I entered the MTC" {which, as of tomorrow, is a true statement}. I really just like the past. And I'm not saying you should live in the past. I'm just saying that there's no need to feel like you can't/shouldn't think about or talk about past experiences. One of my pet peeves is when people say "so and so got home from their mission {or study abroad, or freshmen year, or whatever major life event happened in this person's life} and they're STILL talking about it." SO WHAT? There is a 100% chance that I will forever talk about things like my study abroad and my mission because guess what? I've lived life for 21.5 years and thus far, those were my most important/life changing/ influential experiences. I hope that it won't always be that way {because as much as I loved my mission, it shouldn't be the only life-changing experience I'll have}. But until then... I think it is a shame that people feel like they can't talk about the past. The past is what makes us us. So excuse me while I continue to make references to my love of Russia and England and how a little piece of my heart stayed in those places.

No comments:

Post a Comment